Around 1.1 million children in the UK are currently being treated for asthma. It is the commonest condition of children, affecting at least two children in every classroom. It is vital that those who are responsible for supporting children and young people with medical conditions at school and in early year’s settings receive specific, evidence based training to support them in their role and keep children and young people with asthma safe, whilst encouraging and enabling them to reach their full potential.
This course combines the relevant clinical and non-clinical theory, statutory guidance and practical skills together with pragmatic, relevant and realistic information on policy development and implementation. Delegates will find the course stimulating and interactive with plenty of opportunity for group discussion.
|Includes||All course materials and certificate of attendance|
|Accreditation||The Royal College of General Practitioners (RCGP) 6 CPD points awarded on completion.|
Aims and Objectives
- Continuing professional development
- Delegates will be able to develop inclusive Asthma policies either freestanding or as part of an overarching ‘Supporting pupils with medical conditions in school policy’
- Delegates will be able to deliver high quality, safe, effective care which aligns with current best practice and statutory guidance
- Impact of Asthma
- What is Asthma? (Pathophysiology and mechanisms of Asthma)
- Allergy and Asthma
- What is severe Asthma?
- Triggers and causes
- Atopy (the one airway)
- Pharmacological management
- Non-pharmacological management
- Supported self-management
- Key components of Asthma care
- Assessing Asthma control
- Inhaler technique workshop
- A whole school approach to support children with Asthma (statutory guidance, developing an Asthma policy)
- Home/school communication
- Recognising and managing Asthma symptoms/attacks
- Inhalers in schools (Spare inhaler kits)
- Case studies and group work
- Signposting and ongoing support
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
- School health Nurses
- Independent school Nurses
- Nursery Nurses