Our diabetes training course will introduce or refresh healthcare professionals on the essential aspects of diabetes
Our diabetes training course will introduce or refresh healthcare professionals on the essential aspects of diabetes management within a practice setting. The course will cover both type 1 and type 2 diabetes as well as treatment and management options, enabling delegates to give the best advice possible to patients and their families.
- To identify their current knowledge of diabetes care and how confident they feel about offering advice to a patient with diabetes and or their family.
- To identify the main differences between type 1 and type 2 diabetes and the implications this has for the management of the person’s diabetes.
- To understand the purpose and outcomes of the main treatment options for people with diabetes.
- To discuss the importance of addressing the person’s needs and how regular clinic visits impact on the management of diabetes.
- To discuss how to build relationships and establish an environment that enables the person with diabetes to take an active role in their diabetes management.
- Aetiology and diagnosis of type 1 and type 2
- Difference between type 1 and type 2 diabetes
- Implications for practice
- Management goal
Type 1 Diabetes
- Treatment and management options
- Carbohydrate awareness
- Challenges in self-management
- Hypoglycaemia and hyperglycaemia
- Screening and the annual review
Type 2 Diabetes
- First line treatment and step-wise options
- Food choices and relation to risk
- Activity and Type 2 diabetes
- Cardiovascular disease and Type 2 diabetes
- Screening and annual review
Supporting people with diabetes and their family
- Seeing the person not the disease
- Consultation skills
- Ongoing support needs
Specific sessions can also be offered in
- Food and lifestyle messages for diabetes
- Annual review and screening including foot care advice
- Blood glucose monitoring
- Consultation skills and relationship building
- Complications and treatment options
Who should attend / would be applicable?
Certificate of Attendance with 6 CPD awarded (Free)
NOCN Accredited Certificate available (£25 fee)