Applicable to Nurses, Health Care Assistants and Phlebotomists in primary care, the community, hospitals or nursing homes, this course is interactive and involves a demonstration session on performing blood tests. Our venepuncture training will give delegates the theoretical and practical awareness to undertake a competence assessment framework in the workplace that will deem them competent to take blood safely and appropriately. Each delegate will receive a competence-based framework to allow them to do this.
- Identify and describe equipment used for routine venepuncture
- Be able to assess and select suitable sites used for venepuncture as well as locations to avoid
- Describe and utilize the required steps to perform routine venepuncture
- Describe actions that ensure safety during performance of a venepuncture
- Identify suitable vein selection and identify factors influencing this
- Understand relevant professional and legal issues
- Be able to identify potential complications
- Understand anatomy and physiology and correct vein selection
- Be familiar with equipment and exercise choice in using most appropriate equipment
- Practice safely in terms of infection control and waste management
- Become skilled and competent at phlebotomy
- To recognise any complications arising and be able to take the appropriate action
- Background and importance of training and competence
- Supervision and practice
- Scope and responsibilities
- Professional and legal issues
- Consent and capacity
- What is phlebotomy?
- Tools of the trade-equipment
- Needles and patient safety
- Blood collection systems and devices
- Syringes and when to use them
- Blood collection tubes
- Anatomy and physiology
- Vein Selection: – Identification of Veins – Arm Veins – Hand Veins
- Vein assessment
- Unacceptable sites for venous collection
- Venepuncture procedure
- Order of Fill
- Specimen collection procedures
- Specimen handling post-phlebotomy
- Personal protective equipment
- Needle stick injuries
- Legislation-EU Directives
- Needle phobias
- Dealing with anxiety/fainting etc.
- Practical session
- Potential Complications (including infection control)
- Practical Application – techniques and troubleshooting
- Case scenarios
Who should attend / would be applicable?
- Those interested in careers as Phlebotomists
AB Health Group awards CPD points / certificate of attendance for each course. If you would prefer an accredited certificate by our accrediting body One Awards (NOCN) we can organise this. The charge for the certificate including postage is £30.00.
Annie Barr AB Health Group
Annie Barr is a leading provider of high quality, accredited healthcare training. With a selection of engaging healthcare training that has been developed by experts to equip you and your workforce with the skills, knowledge and competence needed to provide compassionate and high quality care.