This immunisation course is ideal for Health Care Assistants who are developing their roles and assisting with seasonal influenza clinics. It has a comprehensive framework that covers the clinical skills needed to administer injections, along with the theoretical and legal background.
Constantly updated with new information about the latest outbreaks, this immunisation course covers influenza, pneumococcal, shingles and more. It’s based around the National Minimum Standards for Immunisation Training and the RCN, MDU position on health care assistants involved in immunisation. All participants leave the course with an individual Patient Specific Direction (PSD) protocol and a competency based framework. This can then be put to good use, under the supervision of a mentor. Stay confident and competent with this up-to-the-minute training about immunisation.
AIMS AND OBJECTIVES
• A full understanding of the principles of vaccination
• A comprehensive knowledge of the legal framework for Pneumococcal and Influenza vaccination programmes
• A full understanding of safe practice when administering injections
• The HCA’s role with immunisation
• Legal issues – Indemnity
• Competency and supervision
• Understanding competence
• Guidelines and protocols
• PSDs in primary care
• A brief introduction to the immune system
• Virus or bacteria?
• The signs and symptoms of influenza
• Pneumococcal Disease – facts and figures
• Influenza – facts and figures
• How vaccines work
• What’s in the vaccine?
• Infection control
• Antivirals and antibiotics – how they work
• Who’s eligible for vaccination by HCAs – Inclusion and Exclusion Criteria
• Chronic disease at risk patients
• Administering vaccines
• Injection technique and sites – a practical workshop
• The storage and handling of a vaccine
• Reporting and documentation
• Allergy and contraindication
• Basic life support and initial anaphylaxis management
• The legal framework of vaccination
WHO SHOULD ATTEND?
• Healthcare Care Assistants
• Support Workers
• Occupational Health Staff
• Care Staff
Includes All course materials and certificate of attendance
Accreditation 6 CPD points awarded on completion. Accredited by One Awards (*Certificate £25) and CPD Standards (*Certificate free)
Annie Barr AB Health Group
Annie Barr is a leading provider of high quality, accredited healthcare training. With a selection of engaging healthcare training that has been developed by experts to equip you and your workforce with the skills, knowledge and competence needed to provide compassionate and high quality care.