Spirometry is the most common of the Pulmonary Function Tests (PFTs) that measure lung function, specifically the amount (volume) and/or speed (flow) of air that can be inhaled and exhaled. Spirometry is an important tool for generating pneumotachographs, which are helpful in assessing conditions such as asthma, pulmonary fibrosis, cystic fibrosis, and COPD. Spirometry is only useful as a screening technique where uniformity and quality of practice exist. Without a thorough understanding of the principles involved, the methodology, the effects of the disease on lung function, it is difficult for practitioners to be confident and competent in practice.
This Spirometry training course for Nurses and AHP will provide an overview of the key elements of patient preparation and safety and the importance of accuracy and reproducibility in testing. This is a very practical course, encouraging interactive discussion and implementation of this skill within the Health Professionals role. This courses is for nurses and allied professionals. It is also suitable for HCAs undertaking the procedure however, the interpretation section is for Health professionals. We will cover problems encountered during testing such as coughs and slow starts as well as the role of the in relation to assisting the nurse.
- To understand applied anatomy and physiology relating to respiration and respiratory disease
- To understand the terms relating to lung function
- To understand the indications and limitations of spirometry
- To understand the requirements for care and maintenance of equipment including infection control measures where appropriate
- To gain confidence in the performance of spirometry
- Overview of the respiratory system
- Principles of measurement
- Quality control
- Contraindications to testing
- Preparation and performance of the test
- Acceptable criteria
- Potential errors
- Prevention of cross contamination
- Use of bronchodilators
- Anatomy and physiology
- Respiratory disease
- Lung function
- COPD/Asthma-Lung disease
- Spirometry Practice
- Competency development
Who should attend / would be applicable?
- Occupational Health Staff
- HCA’s and Technicians (but not intrepretation)
This course is taught by our ARTP accredited specialist.
Includes All course materials and certificate of attendance
AB Health Group awards CPD points / certificate of attendance for each course. If you would prefer an accredited certificate by our accrediting body One Awards (NOCN) we can organise this. The charge for the certificate including postage is £30.00.
Annie Barr AB Health Group
Annie Barr is a leading provider of high quality, accredited healthcare training. With a selection of engaging healthcare training that has been developed by experts to equip you and your workforce with the skills, knowledge and competence needed to provide compassionate and high quality care.